Sewing Project: Retro Dolls

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm excited to start adding more updates of sewing projects that I had previously shared! I had completed our Christmas stockings, which were so cute hanging in our dining room.

One of my "super secret" projects I was working on for Sadie was kept a secret because if it went well I was going to make it as gifts for some friends who also have little girls.

Well, my first try was acceptable (resembled what it was supposed to, wasn't terribly messed up), so I decided that I could green light the project and make more!

I'd found a pattern on Etsy from Retro Mama - a super cute doll pattern that was retro and fun with quirkly little details. I knew it would be a challenging project but I decided it was worth a try. Her pattern was very well done, the instructions were easy to follow, and she even sells a bundle of felt in the different hair colors. (So, really, if I hadn't decided to make more, I would have been left with a lot of black, brown and gold felt.)

I had some struggles along the way: when it comes to assembling the doll, it's hard shoving all of the limbs into the body in order to stitch them in place. By the time you get to the legs, there is no room for them to go and it's difficult getting it stitched well. I had to re-do a few of them, and some are less than perfect. Sometimes the arms didn't line up well, either. Ah well. Each doll is unique!

It was really fun decided on the different fabrics to pair together. Sadie's was super colorful with the turquoise mary janes, argyle tights and polka dotted dress.


And, obviosuly, Sadie loves her (I hope!).


It was also fun picking out colors and patterns that I thought fit the personalities of the little girls I gifted these to (ok, they're all infants, so really the personalities of there mamas!).

For awhile these dolls were all lined up on our piano, looking a bit like a 1960s doo-wop group!


I am incredibly proud of this project and that I got 4 of these dolls made in a little over a month!

Note: Retro Mama holds the copyright for the pattern, which I purchased from her! You can check out her blog for more fantastic projects.

4 comments:

Kelly | Blushink said...

these are adorable! where can i buy one ;)

nellie w. said...

So cute! What a great job sewing it all up. Those legs look extremely hard. Did you have to finish by hand?

I have a tool called a hemostat that I got at a quilting store that helps with stuffing in narrow spaces. I haven't tried it yet, since I've yet to make a doll, but just in case you plan on making more... you can look into it to see if it would be worth your while to get one!

Sugar said...

Dying of cuteness. Where and how can I buy one for Hazel!!!

Laura said...

@Kelly & Karen: If you have no particular preference on fabric pattern/color or hair color, I can make one for each of your girls :)

@Nellie: ooh, interesting!! And nope, nothing was done by hand other than hand stitching a couple details (barette in hair, design on apron).

Post a Comment