Who buys non-returnable clothes online?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

{fingers pointing at self} This girl.

Sigh. I'm worried about having to revoke my online shopping privileges. I've been super antsy to buy some fall clothes. Forget this summer stuff, I want boots, cute jeans and fun sweaters. Banana Republic's fall line has me drooling, but I can't take the high prices or the wait for a good sale. I needed to shop. Now.

Steve has also been jonesing for new clothes, so this morning he sent me a link to J. Crew's sale. An extra 30% off? Free shipping? Oh what's that, all sales are final with no exchanges or returns? Bah.

So after weeks of filling up shopping carts at various online stores, I actually pulled the trigger and bought clothes from a store I've never shopped at, purchasing clothes I can't return. Yes, you read that correctly, I've never shopped at J. Crew before. Don't judge.

Was it worth the gamble? You decide. I bought:

Fun frilly cardigan in a color that I think is going to be fantastic for fall.


Another fun cardigan in a great, soft color. This cardi, however, needs a skinny belt...which means of course, I finally have an excuse to buy a skinny belt. Yay!


Awesome gray dress! Perfect for work or I'm certain I could wear this around for other things...right?


Jeans. Yes, you heard me, I purchased jeans from a store that I've never shopped at. I have no clue how they will fit and I struggle when the sizes are in inches...so I looked at their size chart and guessed. Fingers triple crossed these fit*, because I'm desperate for jeans right now.


I am love, love, loving this dress! It also comes in a smoky gray, but when I saw the navy blue I just knew I had to have it. How cute will this be in the fall with fun tights? Too cute, that's how cute. Eeep!


So there you have it. My big ol' shopping splurge of clothes that may or may not fit me, but which I can't return. Le sigh. But, again, 30% off of the sale prices and free shipping. Which means I got 2 dresses, 2 sweaters and a pair of jeans for $260! And, since I had one of those $50 pre-paid debit cards that I received as a gift, I really only spent $210. That averages out to $42 an item, my friends, which is a fantastic deal.

Would you have taken the non-returnable gamble?

*If jeans from J. Crew run disgustingly small compared to jeans from other stores, please keep that teeny tiny lit bit of information to yourself so that I can live in my happy little sale bubble until they arrive. I'll find out soon enough when I try and wiggle my big butt into 'em.

7 comments:

Kimberly Michelle said...

Unfortunately, unless I am certain of the sizing of an item (have seen it in store, or know the sizing very well) I refrain. That's mainly because I'm freakishly tall and clothes shopping is a tear-inducing affair most days at the mall.

So, while I only shop online, I make sure to know sizing well enough to snatch it up when it's on super sale!

Anonymous said...

j crew actually runs big in my opinion. but they do make some of my most favorite cardigans EVER. good buy lady! i need to find that coupon and take a peek myself....

Amanda said...

You just sent me high-tailin it over to J.crew's site for that LOVELY mustard colored cardigan. Crossing my fingers they have my size!!

Unknown said...

I have done this and actually gotten lucky. J. Crew usually runs big for me so you might be in luck! I am already browsing for these items on their site

BigAppleNosh said...

I kinda do that - the major discounts on J.Crew's final sales get me all the time! Those cardigans are lovely!

Laura said...

Yay! I'm super excited to hear that J. Crew runs a little big :) Can't wait for the clothes to arrive!!

Micah and Catherine said...

I do this all the time and more times than not, the clothes fit and I'm happy.

Post a Comment