Feed Your D.O.C. Well

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Being a D.O.C. (day of {wedding} coordinator) is hecka hard work. Having had two weddings in the past two weeks, I've learned a few things...
  • I can run around for 12 hours and only go to the bathroom once during that time frame. I always knew I was part camel. (And yes, I realize the extreme unhealthiness of the above statement. But adrenaline really takes over sometimes and you just can't slow down...even to pee.)
  • Until I put a new battery in my watch, my iPhone is getting quite the workout serving as email/internet/clock/entertainment.
  • A pair of Dr. Scholl's silver flats is both somewhat stylish and a lifesaver during a long day.
  • Venues who feed their coordinators well are very close to my heart.
This last weekend I was at the Private Dining Rooms of Spiaggia for a lovely wedding, and was blown away by the amazing staff there....and the food!

I may have been a vendor, but I felt almost like a guest. Vendor meals include the first two courses that the guests received. I scarfed down the 1st course before I could snap a picture of it with my trusty iPhone...but let me tell you, it was nothing short of amazing - buffalo mozzarella with a lovely dressing.

It got even better with the second course. The lightest, fluffiest homemade gnocchi with a wild boar ragu. OMG I couldn't eat this fast enough, but since it was both delicious and very filling, I couldn't even finish it. Le sigh. So much goodness on a plate...I made sure to complement the chef later on in the evening.


Later on in the evening, once guests had eaten their third course (chicken! As if they could still be hungry after the first two courses) and served dessert, the staff noticed that maybe I might want some cake. Yes, please!

I received this lovely little plate of pistachio gelato and orange sorbet. Pistachio gelato just happens to be my favorite. Mmm.


And, of course, a slice of wedding cake from Flour, Cake and Pastry. It was red velvet, and the texture was quite velvety and delicious.


What you can't see in the picture is my nice little shot of espresso to accompany dessert. I'm not going to lie, that part of the evening was just a little slice of heaven! Nothing like an amazing dinner and dessert to accompany a long (and fun!) day of work.

I have blog posts just piling up...in my head. I've learned that coordinating weddings, working a full time job and overall coordinating my life takes a lot out of me.

Would you have stuffed yourself with the amazing gnocchi, or gone straight to dessert?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I LOVED about our venue was that all vendors would be fed the full meal (same exact thing as the guests) at 50% of the cost. Although it meant a few more hundred bucks, I went for it because I knew how hard they would be working and thought they would appreciate the gesture. Later, I discovered that the venue had set aside a table just for them in the cocktail lounge and that they all had a blast.

Post a Comment