Baby Sewing Style: Peasant Top

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I've become slightly obsessed with trying to make clothes for Sadie. The obsession is despite the fact that I'm fairly mediocre at the sewing machine. I can do basic projects that involve sewing in a straight line, and with these "skills" was was able to tackle nursery projects like curtains, crib skirt, sheets, mobile, etc. Easy peasy.

So why exactly am I trying to make clothing for my child? I have no clue. Nor do I understand how or when I expect to complete these projects while working 40 hours a week (not including commuting time) and taking care of baby when not at work. Regardless, I've been scanning the internet for simple projects that I feel like I can handle that also come with free patterns that are sized for my baby. Not exactly easy to find.

I stumbled across this pattern for making a baby peasant blouse. It seemed simple enough, included the pattern for 3-6 months and had instructions that I could actually understand.

I'm proud to say I was actually able to finish the shirt in one sewing session (probably 1-2 hours), only had to make minor adjustments to the elastic in the sleeves so that it fit Sadie's arms, and only had to rip out some of my work and start over once (when I sewed a sleeve on inside out - typical).

And, at the end of it all, it actually looks like a shirt! It may actually look someone store bought (ok, I might be getting a little too confident, especially as you can see a thread hanging from the bottom of it). But if you're fairly new to sewing/have basic skills (like me!) you can probably tackle this project.

Regardless, Sadie was happy to model the shirt. Her whole outfit comes in at $15:

Shirt: $5.00 for fabric and elastic
Jeggings: $6.00 from Target
Socks: $4.00 from Trumpette ($24/6 pairs of socks)
Drool on chin: Free!

And, for the record, the jeggings are actually long enough for her chunky legs!


Just two models, hanging around...

 

Here's hoping I'll have many more "baby style" posts to share with homemade duds for my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment